In which I search for the Pettey, Welch, Jeffrey, Willis and Crane families.
Related Name List: All of the above plus Nance, Graybill, Franks, Williams, Thompson, Bernardi, Bishop, Berry Brewster, Bronaugh, Brumbalow, Coon, Crossland, Fabretto, Fleming, Gossage, Hellums, Hoooper, Horn,Meals, Monroe, Moore, Murdoch, Myers, Power, Reed, Rigs, Sardini, Sims, Stanley,Washington, Wright

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Birthday Kids - Miles Arthur Johns and Gina Bernardi

November 30 
Miles Arthur Johns was a pretty interesting relative to research. I had nothing on him, except for his name and birthdate. I didn’t even recognize the surname “Johns.” But he was in my database because he was a grandson of Mary Elizabeth Power (Hall), a sister of Holloway Lee Power, my third great grandfather who was one of the leaders of wagon trains to Texas. This makes Miles my third cousin, twice removed. I didn't find all that much about his life, but chasing his parents and his wife's parents had me jumping hoops.

Miles was born November 30, 1891 in Luling, Caldwell County, Texas to Perry C Johns and Martha Eliza Hall (daughter of Mary E Power).

In 1900 they were living in Guadalupe County and about four houses down there was a family named Smith with a young daughter named Berta, Miles’s future wife, who was just about a year old. Miles, or Arthur as he seems to have been called, was eight years old when the census was taken.

One odd thing about this census for the Smith’s is that the wife and mother (presumably) of the children is listed as Nettie (Talitha Antoinette Holland), born 1877, age 22 and married 5 years. The oldest child is listed as born 1879 also age 22. I haven’t figured out what went wrong there. And Husband Clifton Smith is listed as 52. Oddly enough, that seems to be correct. I can't find any record of Clif having another wife before Nettie. 

In 1910 the Johns are still living there, but I couldn’t find the Smiths anywhere.

Arthur was living in Galveston County in 1918 when he was enlisted into WWI. He only served a year and was honorably discharged in February of 1919. The war ended on November 11, 1918.

Soon after,  Arthur and Berta found each other and married.

In 1920 they were living in Harris County, probably Humble. In 1930 they were in Humble with two children, Arthur’s brother Carl and Nettie, Berta’s mother, living with them.

In 1842 he registered for the “Old Man’s Draft” in WWII. He was 50 years old and wouldn’t be required to fight, but records were kept to record the availability of manpower and resources.

Miles died in 1961 and is buried in Rosewood Park in Humble Texas. Berta applied for, and received a military plaque for his grave.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gina Bernardi is familiar to many of you, but for those of you who don't know, she's my grandmother, my nonna, on my mother's side.

Born Georgina Sardini 30 Nov 1899 in Villlimpenta, Mantova, Italy to Antonio and Maria Adele Elena Sardini, she married my grandfather, Pietro Bernardi in Verona, Italy. Pietro worked in the printing trade. They had four children in Verona before relocating to Rome.

I was told that my grandfather liked to put on sporting events, particularly bicycle races. Rumor has it that they had to leave town rather suddenly.

My grandparents separated but never divorced. He came every week and gave my grandmother money to support them.

During Mussolini's reign during WWII, my grandmother was chatting with some neighbors on the street and she made a joke about Mussolini. It wasn't a particularly outrageous joke. But not long after, some men came to the door and arrested her leaving her four children alone in the apartment. She was sent to a work camp up north. My mother recalls it as a really bad time. The neighbors wouldn't help them or even speak to them. Everyone was afraid.

But Gina wasn't away too long. Mussolini gave a pardon to some prisoners and Gina came home.

After the war, my mother married and moved to the United States. Gina came to visit on more than one occasion. She had a real flair for comedy. She could have the most serious poker face and crack the funniest joke. She could sing like an angel as well. She had always wanted to sing in the opera in Italy but wasn't able to.

Gina singing accompanied by son-in-law, Jesse Pettey on flute.

Gina died 31 March 1983 in Marina Italy. She's buried in Grottaferratta, Italy. I think all my relatives who knew her would agree that we all miss her very much.

[If I have any of this wrong, please let me know and I'll correct it.]

No comments:

Post a Comment